Thursday, June 20, 2013

Behemoth, Scott Westerfeld, Read by Alan Cumming

Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I "read" Behemoth as an audio book and I can't praise it highly enough. The narrator is Alan Cumming and he does a fantastic job across genders, accents and languages. The story moves along quickly and Westerfeld does a masterful job of tying together his alternate history of World War I with a compelling adventure and light romance (as of Behemoth the love is unrequited).

Leviathan, I felt, dragged a bit in spots, and perhaps it was the narration, or the new setting of Istanbul, or the introduction of a few new characters, but Behemoth never slowed. As soon as the audio finished, I downloaded Goliath and am looking for an eleven hour stretch to hear it soon.

I highly recommend the whole series to anyone interested in history, action-adventure, or certain types of sci-fi/fantasy. Indeed, although the alternate world imagined by Westerfeld is science fiction, it is so lyrically rendered it has more in common with fantasy. This would be a delightful family listen. Add it to your next road trip and you won't be disappointed.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment